As JJ Walker would say, this book is, “Dyn-O-Mite!”
Back before my employment status changed, I invested in several Kickstarters. This one in particular was very worth the money. Tired of regular 5E D&D? Dyskami fixes that and then some with Anime 5E.
Here’s the link for DriveThruRPG
Here’s the link for Dyskami’s website
Just a brief rundown of some of the things you’ll find:
- New character race options: Neko, Kodama, and even Greys!
- New character class options: Ninja, Samurai, Magical Girl, Pet Monster Trainer and more!
- New character size options. Play it small or huge. Either way, it’s covered.
- So many new character options in and out of combat, I can’t list them all.
- New magical and non-magical gear. What book would be complete without it?
- New monsters. That’s what sold me along with some other concepts.
- High-Flying, kick-butt anime/manga action from the minds that brought us the original Big Eyes, Small Mouth.
- A solid mix of classic Tolkien-esque fantasy action combined with crazy anime fantasy action. Run a game in the style of Record of the Lodoss Wars, Naruto, Ninja Scroll, Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Inu Yasha, Sailor Moon, Ranma, Pokemon and so many more.
I was a fan of this project way before it came about.
I’m a long, long time BESM fan. I’ve followed it since First Edition, no less. Third Ed was hard to get a hold of, but I finally did. I’ll write a broader BESM review in the future. I have a lot of wonderful memories and fond moments with BESM and it’s one of my favorite games to work with.
The same can be said of good old D20 BESM. Anime 5E took the raw Rules As Written and turned them into something phenomenal as only the creators of BESM could. I understand anime is as much styles as rules sets, but they added to D&D 5E in new and intriguing ways.
I love the attitude. The look of the product throughout is phenomenal. Really, I don’t know much else they could have added.
Old fans of my previous blog know I don’t use the term “alien” because it is offensive to many beings. I’m a friend to any being from another world who wishes to visit Earth. Now, if you’re wondering why I mention it in the gaming review of Anime 5E, it’s because one of the player races included is the Greys.
If I make one character to play this game, it’s going to be one of these guys. I think they’re pretty cool. I mean, not Magical Cat Girl cool, maybe, but still pretty friggin sweet!
I may not put out any material for this game any time soon, being entangled in three solid projects and possibly adding a fourth. This book really takes the frustration out of 5E and makes it fast, loose, and playable again. Hiyah!
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you. I hope you’ll give Anime 5E a chance.