Working on building random Hexes and Events for my Dungeon Crawl Classics Hexcrawl game.
Roll 1d12 or choose as appropriate.
(If the Judge deems necessary, the terrain may match a connecting hex.)
- Chaos! Roll on the Elemental Chaos table.
- Arctic. Snow and ice everywhere. Sudden windstorms and freezing temperatures.
- Tundra/Taiga. Frozen plains with some forested area possible.
- Civilization! Roll for size and disposition on Urban Settlement table.
- Temperate Forest. Deciduous Trees and conifers. Fairly dense underbrush.
- Plains. Grasslands with an occasional tree or pond.
- Grassy Hills. Rolling hills covered in grass. Occasional tree or pond.
- Water. Could be the start of an ocean or just a lake or river. Roll 1d12 for adjoining hexes. 1-7 = Water (same type.) 8-12 = Land.
- Swamp. Thick vegetation. Lots of water. Lots of living creatures.
- Desert. Sand everywhere. Very little by way of water or vegetation.
- Mountains. Jagged rocks, valleys, canyons and of course, mountains.
- Jungle: Vegetation thick and overgrown everywhere. Very warm.
Elemental Chaos Subtable:
- Ice (Water/Air)
- Steam (Fire/Water)
- Mud (Water/Earth
- Dust (Air/Earth)
- Magma (Earth/Fire)
- Smoke (Air/Fire)
- Aether (Ghost/Spirit World) Keeper may wish to roll terrain above.
- Astral! Air is still breathable, but all other terrain effects are completely chaotic.
Civilization and Ruin Subtable
Roll 1d12 or choose if Keeper deems appropriate.
- Necropolis: There once was a thriving settlement here. Now abandoned and in ruin. Could easily be populated by any number of creatures, demons, or un-dead.
- Small settlement, no larger than 100 beings.
- Road. May be only traces of an old road or trail
- Village. 100-200 beings.
- Dungeon! An underground complex filled with treasures and monsters.
- Eerily Empty.
- Abandoned settlement or village. Why is it empty now?
- Hidden settlement. 1-120 beings living in the terrain out of sight.
- Town. 200-300 beings with most amenities, trade, and services.
- Hidden lair: A dragon, demon, powerful un-dead, elemental, giant, or other huge nasty dwells here out of sight.
- City or large civilized area. May include a castle, keep, or fortress.