Useful in any fantasy RPG. Characters see 1-12 eerie floating lights or pairs of lights moving around seemingly at random. They appear and disappear, moving through the fog at night. They appear most nights at about the same time and in all types of weather. Roll 1d12 and consult the table below:
- The floating eyes of a vengeful ghost, spectre, or revenant floating over the place where they were made un-dead.
- Probably just fireflies and the character’s imagination.
- Orbs piloted by tiny extraterrestrial beings.
- Ethereal (Wizard) Eyes projected by a nearby coven of hags.
- Spirits trying to beckon the characters toward a secret location farther into the swamp.
- Very tiny flying fae going about their nightly business in the swamp. Often mistaken for insects.
- The floating eyes of the elusive Lantern Crocodile looking for its next meal.
- The reflection of magical gems embedded in a magic item under the water reflected off of swamp gas and the water’s surface.
- Flying parasites that feed on magic energy.
- A semi-permanent illusion left behind years ago to distract onlookers from his lair and business at night.
- Will-O-Wisps. (Use the game stats of your choice.)
- Moonlight reflecting off of the scales from a nearby dragon or other large beast.