A man begins furiously typing a document in his word processing program. He knows he saved it, but can’t find it. He has no recollection of what he typed or why.
A short collection of plot hooks for Monster of the Week and/or Shadowrun.
- In the midst of a video call, the computer/phone crashes and comes back up with a screen full of 8 digit letter and number sequences.
- A security guard wakes up in the middle of the night and begins writing out strings of binary on his bedroom walls.
- Each night a small, square metallic plaque with symbols etched into it is left on a character’s doorstep.
- Piles of rocks appear around a character’s door each morning.
- A man begins furiously typing a document in his word processing program. He knows he saved it, but can’t find it. He has no recollection of what he typed or why.
- A woman makes a video of herself speaking in Ancient Sumerian. The translation is cryptic and Japanese is the only language she knows.
- A young gang member spray paints a collection of symbols on a wall instead of the tag he originally intended, having no idea what they mean or why he did it.
- A character goes to check an innocuous email from a friend only to have the screen go to static. Several numbers and letters appear in that static. It’s a web address buried deep in the Dark Web.
- Each character has a dream involving the same word of phrase repeated over and over. When combined, the sentence is a clue to hidden treasure, or a deeper mystery.
- A farmer stumbles outside to find a series of crop circle style symbols etched into her yard.
- An entire night’s video footage from a stakeout is erased and replaced with the sounds of the characters’ halves of a conversation with someone who isn’t there.
- The wooden trim of an old house has Norse runes scratched into it all the way around certain rooms. The messages are cryptic, but coherent