“My God. It’s full of stars.” –Commander David Bowman, 2001 A Space Odyssey
Today’s Prompt: Stars. A rough outline and intentions for a space based #ttrpg .
Here’s how I see this Core rulebook shaping up
- Chapter 1: is always the Intro, What is an RPG? Basic mechanics, dice, a little about the setting. Probably a play example.
- Chapter 2: Character Creation. The basic die mechanic. Attributes, Skills and you. Attributes. Character Occupations. Skills. Edges and Flaws. Character backgrounds. Example characters. (2 is a big chapter.)
- Chapter 3: Equipment. Ground and Water vehicles.
- Chapter 4: Putting the “Space” in the game. Breakdown of how basic starships work. Shuttles, Fightercraft. Mecha.
- Chapter 5: Giant Robot Combat! How mecha operate. Mech construction and loadouts. Ground pounders and Vari-mecha.
- Chapter 6: Space Travel and Space battles.
- Chapter 7: Opposition. The Drock and their allies.
- Chapter 8: Standard issue Mecha, ships, and gear.
- Chapter 9: The GM Section. How to run a game. Exploration. Running the opposition. What to do with Science Division and their highly experimental tech. What happens when a player character hits the ejection lever on their mech. Session Zero and why it’s important. Setting up adventures.
- Chapter 10: Introductory adventure.
- Epilogue: Beyond our little corner of the galaxy.
My intent is to put together just enough setting to give players and Game Masters enough information about the system and the equipment to get started. It is not intended to be all-encompassing. That’s what sourcebooks are for. In the spirit of old school RPGs, I want to make it simple enough to jump right in, but crunchy enough for players to stay interested.
I want an emphasis on exploration and the discovery of new planets, species, and cultures. Yes, there will be the occasional dust-up between the Planetary Alliance and the Drock Empire. But, the Captain Kirk types will have plenty of chances to go down to the planet to find another being to fall in love with them.
Plenty more to come on this subject. Plans and basic design up on my site, probably in November. Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you.