Forget the One Ring. This is more like the 7.69 Ring.
For use with Dungeon Crawl Classics and other D20 Fantasy RPGs.
When found, this ring will use power number 13 when first activated. After that, roll 1d30 to determine the effect. The ring can only have ONE effect active at any given time.
- Wearer is transformed into a Troglodyte for 1d6 days IF the wearer is still transformed after 3 days, two more troglodytes appear and insist the character is related.
- The wearer’s arms are transformed into venomous snakes under their command. The snakes can’t grasp weapons or spell components. but do 1d6 + poison damage. They probably won’t attack the wearer. Luckily, the effect wears off after 1d10 hours.
- Wearer and all of their gear turns gelatinous for 1d12 hours. Immune to all non magic slashing and piercing weapons and half damage from blunt. Takes no damage from falls. Floats. Their gelatinous weapons do no damage. Can still cast spells, but with gelatinous results. Half normal movement. Tastes like lime. Wearer returns with full hit points and all gear at the end of the experience.
- Wearer appears to be struck by a bolt of lightning and then explodes messily. Illusionary chunks of the wearer and all of his gear deal 1d6 psychic damage to anyone within 10′, Ref Save DC 10 for none. Turns the wearer Invisible as per the spell for 2d10 rounds or until the invisibility is dispelled or revealed whichever comes first.
- Wearer and all gear is transformed into a Large Dire Ape for 2d10 rounds. Intelligence is reduced to 5, but the ape gains a +5 Str bonus. The character may not cast spells or use ranged weapons. The ape character will opt for simple, blunt weapons and thrown objects. May be prone to rage. Leaves the wearer craving bananas afterward.
- Wearer can only quack like a duck for 1d6 hours. The wearer may not cast any spells with a verbal component and communication will be entertaining. At the end of the effect, the wearer lays a gem encrusted gold egg worth approximately 300gp.
- Romantic violin music begins to surround the character and is audible wherever they go for 1d10 hours. The wearer gains a +3 Charisma Bonus while the music is playing. However, the wearer gains 1d6 loyal followers while the effect lasts.
- Wearer turns into a nigh invulnerable stone statue for 1d12 minutes. During this time the wearer may not move, speak, cast spells, use weapons or equipment. When returning to normal, the wearer has full health and any negative effect from spell, etc are removed. The wearer still retains sight and hearing
- Wearer sprouts 9 bright orange and white fox tails. The wearer gains a +3 Luck bonus to all attack and damage rolls, saving throws, and armor class for 1d10 hours. The tails move with the wearer’s emotions.
- Tentacles. The wearer sprouts 1d10 shadowy black tentacles with suction cups and becomes enshrouded with negative shadowy energy for 1d10 hours. The wearer gains a chaotic evil aura and is detectable as undead and demonic while the effect is active. The wearer also gains 2 actions of any type, fueled by the tentacles. The tentacles and shroud also grant a +2 Shadow bonus to Armor Class. The tentacles are partially composed of energy and may not be removed or cut off.
- Super Stretchy: The wearer’s limbs elongate and stretch up to 15′ in any given direction. Adds 30′ of movement per turn. The wearer is considered to have 15′ reach. The wearer may also extend his head up to scout around. Provides +3 AC bonus due to stretchiness. Lasts 1d20 minutes.
- The wearer gains the ability to throw firebolts at one per action at any target within 60′. Must make a standard ranged attack roll. Each bolt does 3d6 fire damage + possibly igniting combustibles. Effect continues for 1d8 turns.
- Wearer is healed for 3d6 hp. Causes the wearer to glow slightly for 1d6 hours. Feels warm and tingly all over.
- Wearer is turned into a Muppet. Triple any knockback distances. Takes half damage from normal weapons. Sounds funny. Lasts 1d6 days. Silliness abounds.
- Wearer and all gear is transformed into a pixie faerie. Size is reduced to small including Armor Class improvements.. Gains Flight 20′ movement. Reduces ground movement to 10′. Reduce weapon damage by one step. -4 Str and Con. +4 Dex and Cha. Lasts 1d20 hours. May attract other fae.
- Every pore of the wearer’s body begins to secrete molten candle wax until the character is transformed into a candle wax construct. Half damage from normal weapons. +2 AC. Lasts 2d6 hours.
- Wearer sprouts adorable fluffy cat ears and a long furry tail. +2 Dex Bonus and +4 Charisma Bonus. Gains +20′ Climbing. +2 Stealth (Hide/Sneak) bonus. Lasts 1d6 days. Incredibly cute. Causes tuna cravings. Causes other cats in the vicinity to follow the wearer while the effect lasts.
- <Poof!> Wearer displaces 5′ in a random direction AND teleports with all gear 10′ in a random direction whenever they make contact with anything solid. May still cast spells and used ranged attacks as normal. Melee or touch attacks trigger the effect, making them ineffective. If teleport would place the character in a wall or other object, the teleport trips again until the character ends in an empty space. Lasts 1d10 minutes.
- Wearer temporarily dispels all magic on their person and any magic object/item within 5′. Effect lasts 1d12 minutes and automatically effects everything within 5′ of the character. Moving out of the radius returns the magic to its owner, item, etc. All magic functions normally for the wearer once the effect ends.
- The wearer and all of their gear become intangible for 1d4 days. Immune to eating, sleeping, all damage except by ghost/ethereal-affecting weapons and gains 60′ Dark Vision. However, the wearer can be seen in the Ethereal (Spirit) Plane. Ethereal creatures may not interact with the character, but they may continue to follow or even speak to them. Characters in the material plane can still see and hear the wearer as a pale, dim, ghostly image speaking just above a whisper.
- Anything the wearer touches is covered in a thin layer of delicious strawberry jam. It’s sticky and tastes delicious. The jam may be used for anything one would normally use jam for. Effect lasts 1d4 days.
- Wearer and all gear becomes a water elemental for 1d10 hours. As an aside, other characters may drink from the wearer to ward off thirst. Wearer can also be boiled or frozen.
- Wearer may breathe a 50′ cone 15′ wide Frost breath for 1d6 rounds. Does 6d6 cold damage. Creatures caught within the cone may make a Fort (Con) Save DC12 for half damage.
- <Kaboom!> The ring emits a shockwave of concussive force knocking everything within 5’of the wearer back 10′. Additionally, every creature within 20′ including the wearer is magically stunned for 1d6 rounds. Fort (Con) DC 12 Save for half stun duration minimum 1 round.
- Topiary: The wearer and all gear is turned into a bushy plant statue. The wearer may still move, cast spells, speak and hear as normal. +2 AC bonus. Immune to normal bludgeoning and piercing damage. Vulnerable to fire damage. While in plant form, the wearer absorbs nutrients and water as a plant would. Lasts 1d4 days.
- Wearer polymorphs into a as-yet-unseen creature. Left leg becomes that of an owl. Right leg becomes as a turtle. Torso becomes scaly and gains large bony plates on the back. Sprouts gills but can also breath normally through the elephant’s trunk. Gains a large, sabretooth mouth with multiple rows of teeth like a shark. Eyes sprout out of the head on long tendrils and wearer gains four additional eyestalks facing in random directions. The character’s ears grow to three times their normal size. Character’s hair grows three feet longer and adds a thick beard if one wasn’t already there. Right arm becomes three octopus-style tentacles. Left arm becomes a scorpion-style pincer. Wearer grows a pair of prehensile monkey tails. Character remains in this bizarre state for 1d6 days. No saving throw to avoid the effect. None but the most powerful magics reverse the effect before it expires.
Charisma is automatically reduced to 3. Wearer can wield a melee weapon as normal. Gains 2 actions. Gains a +4 Luck bonus on all physical skills, armor class, initiative, and saving throws. Regenerates 3 hp per turn. Dark vision and all around vision. Resistant to Fire, Magic, and Cold damage. Doesn’t need to sleep in this state. When the effect expires, character will be at full health with no negative effects and any/all curses removed.
- Wearer can suddenly speak, write, and read in every language except Common for 1d6 days.
- A whirlwind of razor sharp blades surrounds the character and moves as they move. Any character making contact with the blades takes 6d6 damage Ref (Dex) Save for half damage. If the wielder is foolish enough to make contact with the blades, they will take damage as well. Effect lasts 1d8 rounds.
- Wearer turns into a giant vulture for 1d8 minutes. Magically attracts two more giant vultures that remain after the effect wears off.
- Clouds form up around the wearer, lightning crackles in the air around them and then they gain the ability to fire lasers from their eyes for 1d4 rounds. The lasers require a regular ranged to hit roll +2 dealing 3d6 damage + igniting any/all combustibles
Please note: There are no saving throws for the wearer to ignore these effects.